Saturday, October 3, 2015

And for my Next Project...Mermaid Quilt

I am finally starting on my next art quilt.  Actually, the drawing has been 2 years in the making.  It took me awhile to get it to where I wanted it.  Of course that meant I would work on it...put it to the side for several months, work on it some more...put it to the side. and then work on it some more. It was important that I had her personality and was clear on where the pattern pieces went. 

Here is the final result:
So then I blew it up to the size I wanted, so the final size of the actual mermaid (without the rest of the quilt) is 41"h x 25" wide. I think the final size of the quilt will be about 65"h x 50", but its hard to say. 

I have decided to employ the turn-needle applique method I learned from Barbara Olson. She is my absolute favorite quilt artist. It was her work that inspired me to go in this direction with my own artwork. (Needless to say when I had the opportunity to learn from her I was the biggest fan girl...she was awesome!) Check out her website.

Here is my pattern just begging me to start cutting and sewing. (and yes...there will be over 150 pieces...) 
I know this looks like paint-by-numbers, but it really helps keep track of what goes where.
In addition to working on the drawing, I have been collecting fabric too.  Since this is underwater, I decided to work with the batik quilt fabric. And there are many lovely colors and patterns to choose from. Here are the ones I have chosen. The background fabric is the background of the quilt where my mermaid will live.  

Body Fabric
Tail/Fin Fabric


Hair Fabric

Assorted Scenery Fabric

Framing Fabric (2-left) and the background fabric.


Next steps? Start cutting everything out.  I will do this in sections so I can keep track of where I am. I I will start with the scales.  They will be made with the iridescent fabric with the same technique as used in my fairy wing tutorial.  I have at least 200 scales to make...It will be a long evening. :-) Then will cut out the tail and bottom fin. 
As always, I will keep you posted on my progress.  Cheers, Teri


No comments:

Post a Comment