Here is the final result:
So then I blew it up to the size I wanted, so the final size of the actual mermaid (without the rest of the quilt) is 41"h x 25" wide. I think the final size of the quilt will be about 65"h x 50", but its hard to say.
I have decided to employ the turn-needle applique method I learned from Barbara Olson. She is my absolute favorite quilt artist. It was her work that inspired me to go in this direction with my own artwork. (Needless to say when I had the opportunity to learn from her I was the biggest fan girl...she was awesome!) Check out her website.
Here is my pattern just begging me to start cutting and sewing. (and yes...there will be over 150 pieces...)
I know this looks like paint-by-numbers, but it really helps keep track of what goes where.
In addition to working on the drawing, I have been collecting fabric too. Since this is underwater, I decided to work with the batik quilt fabric. And there are many lovely colors and patterns to choose from. Here are the ones I have chosen. The background fabric is the background of the quilt where my mermaid will live.
|Assorted Scenery Fabric|
|Framing Fabric (2-left) and the background fabric.|
As always, I will keep you posted on my progress. Cheers, Teri