Monday, August 12, 2024

Collage Quilt for Leah and Micky

Several months ago my daughter asked me to make an art quilt for her best friend from HS who was getting married. Her idea was to have her friend's mother draw a bird and Nyya wanted the scene to take place at sunset at the beach.
Now that the wedding has taken happened and quilt delivered, I can finally share the final quilt along with the process photos.
This is the final quilt.
Drawing provided by Moe Snyder.
My husband, Thor, took this photo at Lincoln City. But my daughter did want more vibrant colors. So I took my color inspiration from sunsets in New Mexico.
I combined the above 2 images to create this pattern. Obviously, I simplified it. I had way, way, way too many pieces....lol.
I enlarged it to be 35" x 18" and traced it onto muslin fabric for backing.
Following are some photos I took during the process.
When it came time to do the birds, I started with whited and black fabric.
Then I used Derwent Inktense pencils to color in the shading.
I then quilted and bound the quilt. Since I no longer have the quilt, I took some hi-res photos. I ordered a canvas print. If it turns out, I'll show it in the Artshows and maybe even sell them.(If there is interest.)

I really enjoyed creating this so much. I am looking forward to doing the next one. I am in the planning stages for doing a portrait quilt and a Dalek quilt. Here's a sneak peek at the pattern for the Dalek quilt.
Till then...Live Long and Proper, Theresa


No comments:

Post a Comment